Friday, January 26, 2007

The Challenger

Last night, as Summy prepared to brush her teeth, she threw me what she apparently thought was a challenge. She said she wanted to use the grown-up toothpaste.

Possibly, she envisioned me saying "No", her insisting, me putting my foot down, and her defying me.

But I said "Okay."

Now that I think back about it, she seemed let down ("How is this fun if I'm allowed to do it?"). She prodded me.

"But you said it was too karam (spicy) for me."

"It's a little stronger than your kid toothpaste, but you can use it if you want. Only a little tiny bit. Mama has to put it on your toothbrush though."

Here was a chance to challenge again. She took it.

"No! I want to do it!"

My answer was very unsatisfying: "Okay."

She looked dully at the adult toothpaste. It had lost all its charm. "Where is the sport in life?", she must have been thinking.

"Here, I don't want it.", she said, and put the toothpaste back on the counter.

Who knows how many other times she'd been picking little tiffs with me on purpose, and I fell for it?

Score: 1 for Mama. 253 for Summy.

3 comments:

Tharini said...

Think you've hit upon a golden secret. :)

Good for the rest of us too.:)

Gauri said...

Wow !! Like Tharini says - you seem to have hit a goldmine.

Tried the theory out on Abhay today - wonder of wonders - it actually works !!!

Thanks Aps :-)

abhishek said...

Hahaha...children are too much.