Very useful for shy people like me:
1) Keep an eye out for a person who seems interesting.
2) Once you spot an interesting person, walk up to them. Step right in front of them and make eye contact.
3) If they don't say anything, continue to stare closely at whatever it is they are doing, and comment on it.
4) If they do not respond to this, bounce up and down while saying "Look what I can do!". If you can do cartwheels, do a cartwheel or two now.
5) If they still haven't said anything, it's time to stop being so very subtle. Say "Will you be my friend?".
It always works for Summy, so it should work for any of us. Right?