Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Counting in Spanish

Dinky has been watching "Go, Diego, Go" on TV everyday. Diego is a little boy who speaks Spanish and English, so Pranav has been learning to count in Spanish.

"Uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve", he said while I was driving with him in the backseat yesterday. "What comes next, Amma?"

"Diez.", I said.

"Diez. What comes next?"
"Once."

"Once. What comes next?"
"Doce."

"Doce. What comes next?"
"Trece."

"Trece. What comes next?"
"Catorce."

"Catorce. What comes next?"
"Quince", I said, quietly, because I had  reached the limits of my knowledge of Spanish numbers and I knew that I couldn't answer his next question.

"Quince. What comes next?"
"Um, I don't know."

He smiled because he thought it was funny that Amma didn't know her numbers either. So I told him that I would find out the answer for him once we got home.

Of course I forgot to find out once I got home. And Pranav is not the  kind who forgets.

So today we had another conversation in the car. He said, ,"Uno, Dos, Tres, Cuatro, Cinco, Seis, Siete, Ocho, Nueve, what comes next, Amma?" I winced a little because I could see what was coming.

"Diez."

"Right. Diez, Once, Doce, Trece, Catorce, Quince (he really doesn't forget - he remembered the numbers from yesterday). What next?", he said with a mischievous smile.

"I don't know.", I had to say again.

So today, I had to get on the computer and learn some more Spanish numbers. At some point, I am going to be stumped by my children, but I don't want to be stumped before they turn three.

No comments: