Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Disappearing Friend

I sit outside Summy's Ballet class with several other moms.

One of them was a quiet Korean woman who always brought a book to read. After a couple of classes, we started to talk.

It is unusual for these kind of conversations to be anything but superficial. But we talked about all sorts of things (cabbages and kings, and whether pigs have wings). Every Wednesday, it was nice to look forward to.

Last week, at the Ballet recital, we sat together and watched our daughters' performances. When the performance ended, I picked up Sameera from backstage. It was late, and I was changing her shoes in a hurry. This friend tapped me on the shoulder with a smile, but I quickly said bye.

Then, yesterday was the last class of the session for Ballet. A lot of people didn't show up since the performance was already done, and that included the Korean woman and her daughter.

And suddenly, just like that, with not even a proper goodbye, no exchange of phone numbers or email addresses, my new friend is gone. I don't remember her name, and I'm betting that she doesn't remember mine. It is sad.

I do know that she is trying to get into a Doctorate program for Music in various schools around the country, and I wish her all the luck and success in the world.

2 comments:

Tharini said...

Life is like a journey on a train
with a fellow passenger at each window pane;
I may sit beside you all the journey through..
Or I may sit elsewhere never knowing you..
But if Fate makes me sit by your side..
Let's be pleasant travellers...
...it is so short a ride!


Your post and the feelings behind it reminded me of this poem.

Aparna said...

While I was writing I was vaguely reminded of a poem I might have read long ago, and I think this was exactly it.

Thank you!

Aps