Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Seeds of Doubt

Summy got a little tiny pot to plant flower seeds in last week. She had lovingly put some soil in the plant (the rest went on her shirt), watered it everyday, and three tiny shoots had come up.

She also showed great interest in getting a bird-feeder after Kiran told her about it. So we went to the store to buy a bird-feeder. She pointed at the bags of seed in that section and asked me what it was.

I said, "Bird seed."

"It grows birds?"

"Yes, honey, it helps birds grow big and strong".

Kiran and I went on looking at the garden stuff for a minute.

"It grows birds?"

"Uh huh."

"And we give them water?"

Then I saw her looking at the bird seed in awe and saw that she had the wrong idea entirely. :) She was picturing planting bird seeds in the soil, watering them, and watching them grow into little birds.

Ha ha ha! Sure, if flower seeds grow flowers, why wouldn't bird seed grow birds?

Such a pity I had to tell her the truth.

No comments: